Ancient Roads and Bridges
A very important factor for the success of the Roman empire was its very expanded net
of infrastructure (and especially of its roads). These roads connected all provinces
with the capital Rome - all roads le(a)d to Rome. Some parts of these roads have
survived up to today, every now and then someone discovers another bit of them. The most
famous one is the Via Appia Antica which passes through the park of the same
But there are other, lesser known roads, that are still intact. Many of them can be visited.
Further, some of the antique bridges built by the Romans are still in use.
Actually there are two bridges by that name - one of Roman origin and the other one
from the 19th century.
The ancient bridge led the Via Tiburtina across the Aniene River and was conserved
almost completely up to the war events of 1849. Its rests are still visible, a smaller and
a larger arch still span across the Aniene River. Unfortunately one can note cross the
bridge at the moment, it is closed off. This should change, though, once the
will be realized and open to the public.
The second bridge has been built in 1853 (upon order by Pope Pius IX) because of the war
damage the ancient bridge suffered. This one is still conserved, the Via Tiburtina
still crosses the river on it - right where Viale Palmiro Togliatti and Via
Tiburtina intersect each other.
Address: Via degli Alberini/Viale Palmiro Togliatti (C12)
Transportation: Metro B Station Ponte Mammolo, or Bus 449, 451, 508
The name gives the information on its location (translated: bridge at the ninth mile) on
the Via Prenestina. It stretches over 125 meters (ca. 480 feet) and is 16 meters
high (ca. 50 feet). Its central arch includes a much older bridge from the end of the
second/beginning of the first century BC.
The Via Prenestina with all of its current traffic still does cross the litte
creek on this bridge.
Address: Via Prenestina km 15,000 (d7)
Transportation: Bus 501, 508, 056
At the place where the Via Nomentana crosses the Aniene River the
has been built. It had first been built during ancient Roman times but has been destroyed
several times (e.g. in 549 AD. by the Goths or in 1849 by the French). It has been reconstructed
every time. At some point it has been transformed into a little fortress (cf. the photos). The
present building unifies elements from over 2000 years of history. The bridge is located in a
quiet part of the natural reserve Valle dell'Aniene.
Opening hours: The bridge can be crossed at any time
Address: Via Nomentana (B9)
Transportation: Bus 36, 80, 84, 90, 211, 342